for Sports and Athletes
Do you want to perform your best in sports? Ortho-K can help without the need for day time contacts or glasses.
Our Ortho-K Treatment helps to eliminate nearsightedness, far sightedness, and astigmatism without any surgery. Ortho-K Treatment is completely safe so every athlete can see clearly without fear of injuries during rough sports. Another benefit is that since there is no surgery, there isn’t any recovery period needed where the athlete will be out of action.
Our Ortho-K molds are worn only at night, in a method known as orthokeratology (ortho-k) or corneal refractive therapy. You simply wear the molds to sleep and you’ll wake up with 20/20 vision.
Under the orthokeratology care of Dr. Diana Nguyen you’ll be able to have crystal clear vision correction without worrying about contact sports such a ball hitting you in the face, or blocking a punch from boxing, or even swimming in the water.
Ortho-K Treatment vs. LASIK
We hear this question from our patients most and while the two have similar benefits there are certain drawbacks to laser surgery which is why many athletes have been choosing Ortho-K over traditional laser surgery.
Ortho-K treatment is completely safe and totally reversible. The treatment has been FDA approved since 2002 but is now gaining popularity due to the increase in doctors trained in the area. Ortho-K treatment is so safe, that Dr. Nguyen is comfortable performing the procedure for children as young as 8 years old.
· LASIK is requires stable vision for a number of years and you must be over 18 years of age. This makes the procedure a poor option for younger athletes who still need the benefits of clear vision
· LASIK is still a surgical procedure and there is still some risk involved. There is no guarantee that the there won’t be permanent side effects or other complications.
· Complications from LASIK can include halos from lights, glare, consistent dry eye, or in some cases even reduced vision that can impact athletic performance
Benefits of Ortho-K vs. LASIK
Ortho-K is a great option for all ages including adults, teens, and children. Ortho-K can give all athletes clear vision without any of these permanent complications. The treatment also has no more risk from complications then regular soft contact lenses.
While Ortho-K can benefit most athletes, sports for which the ability to see without glasses or contact lenses is especially important include swimming, running, boxing, kickboxing, baseball, basketball, climbing, cycling, diving, football, golf, gymnastics, hockey, hunting, martial arts, motorcycle racing, rugby, shooting sports, softball, skiing, snowboarding, soccer, surfing, tennis and wrestling
· Athletes can see clearly all day without glasses or contacts
· No need to be worried about contact from sports during competition
· No need for multiple pairs of spare glasses or contacts in case
· Improvement in confidence during sporting activity
· No need to concerned with dry eye from focusing during activity